The building housing and the Brookfield General Store and Cafe has a long history.
It was built in 1874 as the school teacher’s residence for the new National School, later to become the Brookfield State School on Boscombe Rd.
Being only four rooms it became somewhat too small for a later head teacher who had nine children. When the Department of Education decided to replace the building in 1932 the Trustees of the Hall bought it, moved it to where it is now and brought into being the Brookfield Store.
For the past eight decades this 140 year old building has done the district proud as our Brookfield General Store. It has had a cavalcade of memorable personalities as storekeeper, including the first, a Mr Batozak, who was contracted to paint the Hall and unforgettably colourful characters in Percy Turpin and Victor Roubin.
In very recent times it has been operated by Ken and Fiona Ormiston and his cheerful store manager Guito Poisson and is now in the very capable hands of Christian and Tiffany Hedberg.
Get to know what is offered at this wonderful business 100 years on…